Saturday, April 11, 2009

Buddha and Photography

In the book "An End to Suffering" by Pankaj Mishra I found this quote

"In dependence upon the eye and upon visible objects visual consciousness arises. The union of these three (the eye, objects, and visual consciousness) constitutes contact. Dependent upon this contact feeling is constituted. One perceives what is thus felt; what one perceives one considers; and what one considers one develops all sorts of notions about." from the Middle Way Discourses on the Buddha.

To me photography that has power expresses this contact, the interaction between "the eye, objects, and visual consciousness". The miracle is that this process also exists with the person observing the photograph. A photograph captures that shimmering interaction between the perceiver and the perceived. By sharing my photographs I am sharing how I percieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment